Energy Storage System
Kokam's containerized energy storage system (KCE) is utilized for various applications such as peak shaving, frequency regulation, integration with renewable energy, microgrids, and UPS. It can store 250kWh ‒ 6.7MWh of energy in transferable 20ft / 40ft / 53ft ISO container.Brochure
- Cost Effective with High Energy Density
- Kokam's containerized energy storage system can be discharged at a high C-rate. This feature enables the KCE to be installed in places with limited space due to compact footprints and it can be utilized for multiple purposes (i.e. frequency regulation + ramp rate control). By utilizing high energy type cells, the KCE can also be tailored to store very large amounts of energy within a limited space.
- Convenience of Expanding Capaciy
- Our containerized energy storage system is composed of Kokam’s Battery Modules (KBM) and Kokam’s Standard Racks (KRI) with fast and easy connectivity (serial and/or parallel). The parallel connection allows the customer to easily increase the energy capacity while maintaining the same system voltage. For mission critical service situations, container systems can remain operational while allowing the replacement of modules within racks without interruptions.
- Voltage Stability and Power Security
- Kokam's containerized energy storage system is an optimal solution to maintain stable voltage and it provides capability for back up power in numerous applications such as power transmission, electricity generation, customers’ systems, etc. Kokam's container level Battery Management System (BMS) provides a new paradigm in the energy industry. The BMS can accrue the financial value of the ESS. It can facilitate application to an electric power supply, power backup, renewable energy integration, etc. Especially, KCE’s key role is to stabilize the power grid for large scale systems interconnected with PV and Wind power.
- Competitor HVAC SYSTEM Ambient Cooling System
- The ambient conditions of battery containers are usually controlled by 5~6 HVAC units that control the conditions of the entire 40 ft container.
- Cons : Huge amount of energy required to cool the entire container
- Very difficult to concentrate cooling where heat is produced
- Ambient temperature affects cooling
- Kokam HVAC SYSTEM Direct Cooling System
- The systems also use Kokam's KEC 40-foot container, which features a direct cooling design, in which the container's Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning(HVAC) system only regulates temperatures inside the system's racks rather than the entire container. This results in 70 percent less air conditioning auxiliary load than standard containers.
- Only the areas inside the racks need to be regulated by HVAC system (1/6 of entire container volume)
- Direct Cooling System connects Kokam Racks to the HVAC system via an air duct so cool air reaches the heat source directly
- Pros : Effect of cooling is almost immediate and very efficient
- Ambient conditions do not affect operation
- NMC Cell
- DC Panel
- Fire Suppression
- Module BMS
- String BMS
- Battery Protection
- System BMS
ESS SOLUTION (Battery + PCS + Transformer + EMS)
6MW PCS (40ft) + Transformer + 4MWh Battery (40ft)
2MW PCS + Transformer + 2MWh Battery (20ft)
EMS (Energy Management System)
- SYSTEM BMS
- Processes and displays real-time status of the battery system from the rack level down to the cell level (up to 30 racks)
- Provides data on energy, voltage, current, SOH/SOC status and easier access to data through user friendly GUI (optional)
- Anomalies identifiable at the cell and module level for quick diagnosis
- Activates various protection mechanisms during emergency situations
- Monitoring data and event log saved up to 3 years
- Remote Management feature available over Ethernet
- BMS Software
- DC PANEL
- Fuse and Contactor designed to protect the battery system against short circuit
- Fuse and Contactor status available through HMI
- Mechanical Characteristics
- Complete galvanic isolation
- Easy maintenance
- Communication to PCS or EMS with CAN/ MODBUS
- Integral HVAC
- Integral fire suppression
|Model||High Power Type||High Energy Type|
|Installed Energy (MWh, @ BOL)||5.061||3.996||1.864||5.299||2.472|
|Max Power||Discharge (MW)||20.24||15.98||7.45||10.59||4.94|
|DC Efficiency||>97% [C/2 rate]|
|DC Voltage (V)||660 ~ 998|
|Dimensions (Approx. ft)||53’||40’||20’||40’||20’|
Temperature Range (℃)
|-20 ~ 50|
|Enclosure Standard||IP54, IEC 60529|
Kokam Systems makes no warranty exploit or implied with these specifications.
Contents subject to change without notice
- Installed Energy : The total amount of stored capacity without considering the operational conditions.
- Rated Energy : The total amount of usable capacity, taking into consideration the operation conditions.
(discharge condition @ 0.5P, 23±3°C, BOL)
- Inclusive of battery management systems and electronic components
- Kokam makes no warranty explicit or implied with these specifications.
The contents are subjected to change without prior notice.
- SCALABLE UP TO > 10MWh
- Due to the high energy density of Kokam’s SLPB, the KCE can store more energy in a given footprint than any other battery storage system: The KCE can be connected in parallel to increase the total energy available to >10MWh.
- KEY STRENGTHS
- High Power and High Energy
- Modularity and Scalability
- Optimal Temperature Control and Safety
- - Frequency regulation and Spinning Reserve
- - Energy Storage System for EV charging Stations
- - Improving the power quality and reliability of renewable energy
- - Peak Load Management
- - Arbitrage
- - Voltage Support
- - T&D deferral